My Dog Ate Aquaphor: What Should I Do Now?

Aquaphor is a safe and effective way for your dogs’ skin. Applying a small amount of Aquaphor to your pet’s skin can help soothe dryness and irritation.

Moreover, if your pet has any open wounds, Aquaphor can help promote healing by creating a barrier that protects the area from bacteria and other contaminants. It can also be used to treat hotspots, which are painful areas of inflammation caused by allergies or infections.

It works great! However, what happens if your dog eats Aquaphor?

Is Aquaphor toxic for dogs?

Aquaphor is non-toxic, and a dog can consume it safely in small quantities.

Aquaphor is safe for dogs because none of its ingredients are toxic for dogs. If ingested, it doesn’t pose any danger, but it may result in diarrhea or an upset tummy.

However, you must check the quantity of Aquaphor your rambunctious pet ingested. If he just has fun destroying the tub and abandoning the prey once he got a taste of it, he will be pretty much safe. On the other hand, if a dog eats more than just one mouthful of Aquaphor, it will most likely cause diarrhea. The pet may also experience stomach cramps and vomiting so you’re probably looking at a total mess.

What should you do if your dog eats Aquaphor?

1. Check, clean, and feed

First of all, don’t panic! There’s no reason to. Try to determine how much of the ointment did the dog ingest. If there’s a lot of ointment smeared on the carpet chances are your pet didn’t eat much, but mainly had fun with it. If, on the other hand, there’s not much ointment on the carpet and the tube is almost empty then you know your pet consumed quite a bit.

Ignore the mess and focus on the dog first. Clean the dog’s snout and the inside of his mouth with a clean piece of cloth if the dog allows it. Have him drink some water to wash away the taste.

Feed the dog small pieces of bland food like boiled chicken or cottage cheese. Do not give him anything with grease, spices, or bones in it.

2. Some medication for the troubles

Medicines like Immodium or Pepto-Bismol which you already have at home are safe and helpful for your dog to use.

For Immodium, the proper dosage is 2mg every 8 hours for a medium to large-sized dog. It comes in 2mg tablets, so half a tablet should be sufficient for small dogs.

For Pepto-Bismol, the proper dosage for an entire day is 1ml per pound of bodyweight. This dosage can be split every 8 hours. As an example, if your dog weighs 60 pounds, give it 20mls of liquid every 8 hours a day.

If the dog looks like it is experiencing stomach pain and bloating, you can also give it acid reflux medicines such as Pepcid AC or Omeprazole. With both of these, give your dog 0.5mg for each pound of body weight over a period of 24 hours.

Giving your dog medication can be a stressful process, but it is important that you do everything you can to make sure that your dog takes the medication properly. once your dog has taken the prescribed amount of medication, you will want to keep an eye on it for any adverse reactions. If your dog does have an adverse reaction, you will want to take it to the veterinarian as soon as possible.

Another home remedy for dogs’ upset stomachs is a mixture of apple cider vinegar and water. For every cup of water, mix in two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. Give your dog one tablespoon of this mixture every hour until diarrhea subsides.

3. Go to a Vet if he consumed a higher amount of Aquaphor

There’s no reason to try and make the dog vomit. On the contrary, making your pet throw up might cause some of the ointment to make it into the lungs on its way out. Vomiting can quickly lead to dehydration, which can be life-threatening.

If your dog ate a small amount of ointment, he may experience some vomiting and diarrhea. This is normal and nothing to worry about too much. If the dog is vomiting frequently or severely, call your veterinarian immediately.

However, if your dog ate a large amount of ointment, he may experience more serious symptoms such as difficulty breathing, lethargy, and convulsions. If your dog exhibits any of these symptoms, it’s important to take him to the vet immediately.

In most cases, the vet will simply pump your dog’s stomach and he’ll be fine. However, if your dog has ingested a large amount of the ointment, he may require further treatment. So, as long as you are able to determine how much of the ointment your dog ate, there is no reason to panic. Just take some basic precautions and keep an eye on your pet.

My Dog Ate Aquaphor What Should I Do Now 1

Some signs that your dog needs medical attention

  • If the stool is black, tarry, or bloody (bright red)
  • If your dog appears lethargic
  • Frequent vomiting
  • Signs of abdominal pain such as groaning or sensitivity to touch
  • Loss of appetite
  • If diarrhea lasts longer than 48 hours

If you notice any of these symptoms, take your dog to the vet as soon as possible.

How to prevent your dog from eating Aquaphor again

Aquaphor is a great moisturizer for your skin, but it can be dangerous for your dog if ingested. If your dog has eaten Aquaphor in the past, there are some things you can do to help prevent them from doing so again.

  • First, make sure to keep Aquaphor out of reach of your dog. This may mean keeping it in a high cabinet or on a high shelf.
  • Second, if your dog does manage to get into the Aquaphor, immediately clean up the area with soap and water.
  • Third, consider using a different moisturizer that is safe for dogs, such as coconut oil.
  • Fourth, if you think your dog may be prone to eating Aquaphor, talk to your vet about possible behavior modification treatments.

By following these simple tips, you can help prevent your dog from consuming Aquaphor and keep them safe and healthy.

In summary

If your dog has eaten Aquaphor, there are a few things you can do to help ease their stomach issues. It is non-toxic to dogs, but it will cause severe diarrhea and vomiting if ingested in significant amounts. There is no cure for this, so you’ll just have to wait it out. However, you can give your dog medications like Pepto-Bismol or Omeprazole to help make them more comfortable.

Have you ever had to deal with this situation before? Let us know in the comments below.

Leave a Comment