My Dog Ate a Bar of Soap! What Should I Do?

Dogs will eat anything, and that includes bar soap. While it might not be the most appetizing thing to humans, dogs seem to enjoy the taste and smell of soap. Some dogs may also just be curious and want to explore anything new they come across. Others may be trying to satisfy their hunger with anything they can find, including soap.

If your dog ate a bar of soap, there are a few things you should do to make sure they’re okay.

In this blog post, we’ll discuss what you should do if your dog ate a bar of soap, as well as how to prevent it from happening again. Keep reading for more information!

Is Soap Poisonous to Dogs?

My Dog Ate a Bar of Soap What Should I Do 1

A large proportion of soap bars are made from natural ingredients that aren’t poisonous to dogs. However, some contain detergents and other chemicals that can be harmful.

Here are some ingredients commonly found in soap that can be toxic to dogs:

1. Sulfates

Sulfates are a group of chemicals that are added to soap to create a foaming action. They’re also found in shampoos, detergents, and other cleaning products.

Sulfates can be irritating to a dog’s skin and eyes and can cause gastrointestinal issues if ingested.

2. Fragrances

Soap bars often contain fragrances to give them a pleasant smell. However, some fragrances can be toxic to dogs if they inhale them or get them on their skin.

3. Colors

Soap bars may also contain artificial colors, which can be toxic to dogs if ingested.

4. Essential Oils

Essential oils are often used in soap bars to give them a nice scent. However, some essential oils can be toxic to dogs if they’re inhaled or ingested.

If you think your dog has ingested soap, it’s important to seek veterinary care immediately.

Why Do Dogs Like Soap?

There are a number of theories as to why dogs like soap.

One is that they enjoy the smell and taste of the soap, which is often made with natural ingredients that appeal to a dog’s senses.

Another theory is that dogs enjoy the way soap feels on their skin, as it can help to soothe itchiness and dryness.

Some dogs also enjoy the bubbles that are created when soap is used, and they may chase and play with the bubbles in a manner similar to how they would chase after a ball.

Ultimately, it is likely that each dog enjoys soap for different reasons, but all dogs seem to appreciate the cleansing properties of this common household product.

What Should You Do If Your Dog Ate a Bar Of Soap?

  • If your dog ate a bar of soap, the first thing you should do is call your veterinarian.
  • If your dog is acting normal, eating and drinking normally, and doesn’t seem to be in any pain, then they likely just have a stomach upset from the soap.
  • You can give your dog some plain white rice to help soothe their stomach.
  • If your dog is vomiting or has diarrhea, call your veterinarian right away.
  • Never give your dog human medicine without consulting your veterinarian first.

What You Should Not Do When Your Dog Ate Soap

If your dog ate soap, it’s important to take quick action and not do any of the following things:

1. Do not wait to see if your dog has any symptoms

Contact your veterinarian or emergency animal hospital immediately. The sooner you get treatment, the better the chances for a full recovery.

2. Do not induce vomiting unless directed to do so by a veterinarian

Soap can cause irritation and inflammation of the esophagus and stomach, and vomiting can make these conditions worse.

3. Do not give your dog anything to eat or drink until you have spoken with a veterinarian

Eating or drinking while waiting for medical attention can delay diagnosis and treatment.

4. Do not try to treat your dog at home

Soap ingestion is a potentially serious condition that requires professional medical treatment. Home remedies can be dangerous and may make the condition worse.

My Dog Ate a Bar of Soap! What Should I Do?

What Happens If a Dog Eats a Bar of Soap?

Although soap doesn’t put your dog into an immediate life-threatening situation, when your pooch eats soap there will be unpleasant consequences. Eating soap can cause your dog to experience vomiting and diarrhea. It is likely also to have trouble digesting fats. If the soap is scented or contains other chemicals, it could also irritate the dog’s skin and eyes.

The good news is that in most cases, these symptoms will resolve on their own without the need for medical treatment.

However, if your dog consumes a large amount of soap or if they develop severe symptoms, a bar of soap could cause an obstruction in the dog’s digestive system and may require surgery to remove.

How to Stop a Dog from Eating a Bar of Soap

If you have a dog that likes to eat soap, there are a few things you can do to stop them.

One is to keep the soap out of their reach. This may mean putting it up high on a shelf or in a cabinet where they can’t get to it.

Another option is to put the soap in a dish that has a lid on it so they can’t get to it.

Finally, you could try using a different type of soap that is less appealing to them. For example, there are some soaps that are made with natural ingredients that dogs don’t find as palatable.

If you’re having trouble getting your dog to stop eating soap, talk to your veterinarian. They may be able to recommend a different course of action.

Final Thoughts

Soap ingestion is not a common occurrence in dogs, but it can happen. Most often, cases of soap ingestion cause little to no effect. However, in some cases, depending on the ingredients of the soap and the effect it has had on the pet, can result in severe symptoms and can even prove fatal.

Prevention is always better than cure. The take-home message is to ensure any harmful products are kept out of reach from your dog. Should your pup get hold of any soap, contact your vet for advice on what to do next.

Leave a Comment