My Dog Ate Vaseline: What Should I Do Now?

Dogs often eat the strangest of things! Essentially, if they can fit it in their mouths, they’ll try to eat it. This includes our favourite skin-care products. So, is Vaseline toxic to dogs?

In this blog post, we’ll be discussing whether or not vaseline is toxic to dogs. We’ll also provide some information on what to do if your dog ate vaseline.

Is Vaseline Toxic To Dogs?

Dogs might lick vaseline off their skin, which can lead to gastrointestinal issues. If a large amount is ingested, it could cause vomiting and diarrhoea. Ingesting vaseline can also lead to pneumonia.

The main ingredient in vaseline is petroleum jelly. Other ingredients may include mineral oil, wax, and fragrance.

While technically not poisonous, vaseline is not recommended for use on dogs because of the health risks it poses. If you must use it, be sure to keep it out of reach of your dog and monitor them closely. If they ingest any, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Dog Ate Vaseline

Why Do Dogs Eat Vaseline?

When seen from a human perspective, it seems like dogs enjoy eating an extremely diverse range of peculiar foods. To a dog, however, everything that has a pleasant aroma is fair game.

Because it includes petroleum jelly, dogs think that vaseline has a pleasant scent. This component is essentially a byproduct of the refining of oil, and it has a very distinctive odour that canines seem to find appealing.

Dog Ate Vaseline

In addition, vaseline may be used topically to treat small wounds such as cuts and scrapes as an ointment. Because of this, it could be more tempting to dogs that are searching for a means to calm an itchy or irritating sensation in their skin.

What Happens If Dog Eats Vaseline?

If your dog eats vaseline, it may experience vomiting and diarrhoea. In some cases, it can also lead to pneumonia. Vaseline is not poisonous to dogs, but it can be harmful if ingested in large quantities. When swallowed, vaseline can cause an obstruction in the intestines. In severe cases, this can lead to surgery.

Vaseline can also cause pneumonia if inhaled. When inhaled, petroleum jelly can coat the lungs and cause difficulty breathing. If your dog is having trouble breathing, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Dog Ate Vaseline

If you think your dog has ingested vaseline, contact your veterinarian immediately. They will be able to advise you on the best course of treatment. Treatment may involve giving your dog fluids and monitoring its vital signs. In severe cases, surgery may be necessary.

What Should You Do If Your Dog Ate Vaseline?

It is not often a cause for alarm if you discover that your pet has consumed vaseline. On the other hand, if they have consumed a greater quantity, this may be a matter of worry and maybe a very terrifying experience. When caring for your dog, you will want to be sure to follow these steps:

Don’t Let Them Eat Any More

If you think your dog has eaten vaseline, the first thing you should do is prevent them from eating anymore. If they have access to the vaseline jar, make sure to put it away where they can’t get to it.

If you can’t find the jar, or if you don’t know how much they ate, it’s best to err on the side of caution and assume they ate a lot.

Don’t Induce Vomiting – Leave This For Your Vet

Contrary to popular belief, it’s actually not a good idea to make your dog vomit if they’ve eaten something they shouldn’t have. Unless you know exactly what they ate, and how much they ate, inducing vomiting can do more harm than good.

If you don’t know what they ate, inducing vomiting can actually cause more damage. For example, if they ate a razor blade, the blade could do more damage on the way up than it did on the way down.

If you’re not sure what they ate, or how much they ate, it’s best to leave induced vomiting to the professionals.

Contact Your Veterinarian

The next thing you should do is contact your veterinarian. They will be able to advise you on the best course of action. They may want you to bring your dog in for a check-up, or they may be able to give you over-the-phone instructions.

If your dog is having trouble breathing, contact your veterinarian immediately. This is a medical emergency and they will need to be seen by a veterinarian right away.

Treatment

Treatment for vaseline ingestion will depend on how much your dog ate and how they are feeling. If your dog ate a small amount of vaseline and they are acting normally, your veterinarian may tell you to watch them closely for signs of gastrointestinal upset.

Monitor For Behavioral Changes

Even if your dog seems to be feeling fine, it’s important to monitor them for any changes in behaviour. If they seem to be lethargic or not themselves, contact your veterinarian.

It’s also important to keep an eye on their stool. If you notice any changes in the colour, consistency, or frequency of their stool, contact your veterinarian.

How To Prevent My Dog From Eating Vaseline

The best way to prevent your dog from eating vaseline is to keep it out of their reach. If you use vaseline, make sure to put it away where your dog can’t get to it.

You should also be careful about what you put down the drain. If you have used vaseline on your skin, make sure to wash it off before you put your hands in the sink. If you have used vaseline on your lips, make sure to wipe it off before you kiss your dog.

Finally, be sure to dispose of any unused vaseline properly. Don’t just leave it sitting out where your dog can get to it. If you follow these simple tips, you can help prevent your dog from eating vaseline.

FAQs

Can dogs die from eating vaseline?

It is possible for dogs to die from eating vaseline, but it is not common. If your dog ate a small amount of vaseline and they are acting normally, your veterinarian may tell you to watch them closely for signs of gastrointestinal upset. If your dog ate a large amount of vaseline or they are showing signs of illness, treatment will likely be necessary. Treatment may involve giving your dog fluids and monitoring its vital signs. In severe cases, surgery may be necessary. If your dog is having trouble breathing, contact your veterinarian immediately. This is a medical emergency and they will need to be seen by a veterinarian right away.

Why Do Dogs Lick Vaseline?

There are a few reasons why dogs might lick vaseline. The first is that it can be used as a medication. If your dog has dry skin, your veterinarian may prescribe vaseline to help soothe their skin.

Another reason why dogs might lick vaseline is that it tastes good. While we may not enjoy the taste of vaseline, dogs often find it quite delicious.

Finally, some dogs lick vaseline because they are bored or anxious. If your dog is licking vaseline excessively, it may be a sign that they need more mental and physical stimulation.

If you think your dog is licking vaseline because they are bored or anxious, be sure to talk to your veterinarian. They may be able to recommend some ways to help keep your dog entertained and engaged.

Final Thoughts

If you think your dog has eaten vaseline, the first thing you should do is prevent them from eating anymore. If they have access to the vaseline jar, make sure to put it away where they can’t get to it. If you can’t find the jar, or if you don’t know how much they ate, it’s best to err on the side of caution and assume they ate a lot.

Contrary to popular belief, it’s actually not a good idea to make your dog vomit if they’ve eaten something they shouldn’t have. Unless you know exactly what they ate, and how much they ate, inducing vomiting can do more harm than good. If you’re not sure what they ate, or how much they ate, it’s best to contact your veterinarian. They will be able to advise you on the best course of action.

Finally, be sure to monitor your dog for any changes in behaviour. If they seem to be lethargic or not themselves, contact your veterinarian.

Leave a Comment