What Will Happen If Your Dog Ate Toothpaste?

Chewing is something that dogs really like doing. In addition, they will gnaw on anything that their jaws can wrap around. You have already noticed by this point that this can even apply to tubes of toothpaste.

So, what will happen if your dog ate toothpaste? In this blog post, we’ll explore the potential consequences and what you should do if it happens to your pup.

Is Toothpaste Dangerous For Dogs?

It is quite possible that toothpaste will be harmful to your dog; however, the severity of the symptoms will mostly rely on the components of the toothpaste as well as how much of it the dog is able to swallow.

dog ate toothpaste

In general, it’s best to avoid all toothpaste that contains xylitol or fluoride. You should also avoid toothpaste that contains other ingredients that might be harmful to dogs, such as essential oils.

Xylitol

Xylitol is a sugar alcohol that is used as a sweetener in many products, including gum, candy, baked goods, and some toothpaste. It is also found in some peanut butter and other nut butter. Although xylitol is safe for humans, it is very poisonous to dogs.

Even a small amount of xylitol can cause low blood sugar and liver damage in dogs. If a dog ingests xylitol, it may experience vomiting, loss of coordination, seizures, and even death. For this reason, it is important to keep toothpaste and other products containing xylitol out of reach of your dog.

If you think your dog has ingested xylitol, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately. Symptoms of xylitol poisoning can occur within 30 minutes of ingestion and may include vomiting, weakness, loss of coordination, and seizures. With prompt treatment, most dogs will recover from xylitol poisoning without any lasting effects.

Fluoride

Fluoride is a mineral that is found in many products, including toothpaste. It is also added to some water supplies to help prevent cavities. Fluoride can be dangerous to dogs if they consume too much of it.

When fluoride is ingested in large amounts, it can cause gastrointestinal upset and vomiting. In severe cases, it can lead to kidney damage. If you think your dog has consumed too much fluoride, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately. Symptoms of fluoride poisoning can occur within hours of ingestion and may include vomiting, diarrhoea, and weakness. With prompt treatment, most dogs will recover from fluoride poisoning without any lasting effects.

What Happens If Dog Eats Toothpaste?

The symptoms your dog will experience depend on the ingredients in the toothpaste and how much they ingested. If the toothpaste contains xylitol, your dog may experience vomiting, loss of coordination, seizures, and even death. If the toothpaste contains fluoride, your dog may experience gastrointestinal upset and vomiting. In severe cases, fluoride poisoning can lead to kidney damage. If your dog ingests plastic beads from toothpaste, it may experience gastrointestinal irritation and vomiting. In severe cases, the beads can cause blockages in the intestines.

dog ate toothpaste

If you think your dog has ingested toothpaste, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately. The sooner you get treatment, the better the chances of a full recovery.

How To Treat A Dog Poisoned By Toothpaste?

If your dog has ingested toothpaste, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately. The sooner you get treatment, the better the chances of a full recovery. If the toothpaste contains xylitol, your dog will need to be hospitalized so that it can be monitored for low blood sugar and liver damage. If the toothpaste contains fluoride, your dog will need to be seen by a vet so that they can be treated for gastrointestinal upset and vomiting. If your dog has ingested plastic beads from toothpaste, they will need to be seen by a vet so that they can be treated for gastrointestinal irritation and vomiting. In severe cases, the beads can cause blockages in the intestines.

After vomiting, your dog will be hospitalized to receive intravenous therapy. This will help to flush the toxins out of their system and prevent further damage. Your dog will also be given supportive care, such as fluids, to help them recover. With prompt treatment, most dogs will make a full recovery from toothpaste poisoning.

How To Keep Your Dog Safe From Xylitol Poisoning?

The best way to prevent your dog from eating toothpaste is to keep it out of their reach. Store toothpaste in a cupboard or drawer that your dog cannot access. If you are using toothpaste with xylitol, be sure to keep it away from your dog at all times. You should also avoid using fluoride toothpaste, as it can be harmful to dogs. If you must use fluoride toothpaste, be sure to brush your teeth in a place where your dog cannot reach the toothpaste.

dog ate toothpaste

Training your dog to stay away from toothpaste can also be helpful. If you catch your dog trying to eat toothpaste, say “no” firmly and give them a treat. Reward your dog for staying away from toothpaste. With time and patience, you can train your dog to avoid toothpaste altogether.

If you think your dog has ingested toothpaste, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately. The sooner you get treatment, the better the chances of a full recovery.

FAQs

Can A Dog Survive Eating Xylitol?

Xylitol is the most dangerous ingredient in toothpaste for dogs. If your dog ingests xylitol, it may experience vomiting, loss of coordination, seizures, and even death. Xylitol can cause low blood sugar, which can be fatal for dogs. It can also cause liver damage and failure. If your dog ingests xylitol, it will need to be hospitalized so that it can be monitored for low blood sugar and liver damage. With prompt treatment, most dogs will make a full recovery from xylitol poisoning.

My dog ate toothpaste without xylitol, will she be okay?

If your dog has ingested toothpaste without xylitol, it will likely experience gastrointestinal upset and vomiting. They may also have some diarrhoea. In most cases, dogs will recover from this on their own. However, it is always best to consult with a veterinarian to be sure. If your dog is showing signs of distress, such as excessive vomiting or diarrhoea, it will need to be seen by a vet.

Final Thoughts

Ingestion of toothpaste by dogs might provide a health risk to the animal. Xylitol, which may induce low blood sugar as well as harm to the liver, is the chemical in toothpaste that poses the most risk. It is imperative that you seek quick veterinary attention if you discover that your dog has consumed toothpaste. The majority of dogs will make a complete recovery if they get treatment right away.

If you have any questions or concerns, you should always visit or call your veterinarian. They are your best resource to ensure the health and well-being of your pet.

Leave a Comment