What Should You Do If Your Dog Ate Tennis Balls?

It’s possible to spend hours having fun with tennis balls, which are simple to see and catch, don’t cost much money, and have a tremendous amount of bounce.

Unfortunately, dogs and tennis balls do not always get along swimmingly, and there are certain possible health dangers that you, as a dog owner, should be aware of before allowing your pet to play with tennis balls. In point of fact, this toy has the potential to become a choking danger or to obstruct the digestive tract of your cat very rapidly.

In this blog post, we will discuss what to do if your dog ate tennis balls!

Can Dog Eat Tennis Balls?

If they are handled appropriately and with supervision, tennis balls are safe for dogs to play with. They are very much liked by our animals, and they provide us with an opportunity to engage in some beneficial cardiovascular activity, which is essential for maintaining your dog’s active and healthy lifestyle.

However, tennis balls are not digestible in any way, and the powerful acids found in a dog’s stomach have the ability to break down the components of the ball, which raises the risk of a bowel obstruction. If it seems that he is having problems breathing or if it appears that he is choking, you should take him to the veterinarian as soon as possible.

dog ate tennis balls

Otherwise, if he’s just swallowed the tennis ball and doesn’t seem to be in any distress, then you can let him digest it. It might cause some mild stomach upset, but he should be able to pass it without any problems.

Just make sure that you don’t give your dog any more tennis balls to play with and supervise him closely when he’s playing with them in the future. If you have any concerns, please speak to your veterinarian.

What Happens If Your Dog Ate Tennis Balls?

The most significant danger that tennis balls provide is the possibility of gastrointestinal blockage.

Although it is not the only danger presented by this kind of ball, it is the one that is most often seen in dogs and is typically the one that results in the most unexpected outcomes.

dog ate tennis balls

Your dog’s teeth might be ruined by a tennis ball, it could include elements that are very harmful to your dog, or all three of these things could happen simultaneously.

Choking Hazard

Tennis balls are a choking hazard for dogs. If your dog swallows a tennis ball, it could get stuck in his throat and block his airway. This is a medical emergency and you should take your dog to the vet immediately if this happens.

Intestinal Blockage

Another danger of tennis balls is that they can cause an intestinal blockage if your dog swallows one. This is because tennis balls are made of hard rubber and they can’t be digested.

If a tennis ball gets stuck in your dog’s intestine, it will need to be surgically removed. This is a serious condition that can be life-threatening, so it’s important to take your dog to the vet right away if you think he has swallowed a tennis ball.

Teeth Damage

Tennis balls are also hard on your dog’s teeth. If your dog chews on a tennis ball, it can damage his teeth and cause tooth fractures. It’s important to provide your dog with toys that are safe for him to chew on to avoid this type of dental damage.

Poisoning

Tennis balls can also be dangerous because they may contain harmful chemicals. For example, some tennis balls are coated with a pesticide called permethrin to help keep them clean. If your dog chews on a tennis ball that has this chemical on it, he could be poisoned.

Poisoning from lead should be treated as a serious medical emergency, and you should take your dog to the vet as soon as you possibly can. Both gastrointestinal and neurological indications, such as those listed below, are possible manifestations of intoxication.

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Lack of appetite
  • Lethargy
  • Anxiety

Some tennis balls also have a strong smell that can be irritating to your dog’s nose. If your dog sniffs a tennis ball that has this type of smell, it could cause him to have an allergic reaction.

What Should You Do If Your Dog Ate Tennis Balls?

When a dog ingests a tennis ball, the first thing that should be done is to examine the dog’s mouth to determine whether or not the ball has been swallowed or if it is stuck in the dog’s throat or mouth. If the ball is in their mouth, try your best to remove it without pushing it further down their throat. If you can’t remove the ball and your dog is starting to choke, call your veterinarian or local emergency animal hospital immediately.

dog ate tennis balls

If the tennis ball has been swallowed and they don’t seem to be choking, start by monitoring them closely. If they start showing signs of distress such as vomiting, diarrhoea, or lethargy, call your veterinarian immediately. In some cases, the tennis ball may need to be surgically removed if it’s causing an obstruction in the digestive tract.

Make sure to keep an eye on your dog anytime they’re playing with tennis balls in the future and be sure to keep them out of reach when you’re not able to supervise. If you have any concerns, please speak to your veterinarian.

How Can My Dog Play Safely With a Tennis Ball?

There are a few things you can do to make sure your dog stays safe when playing with tennis balls:

  • Choose the right size ball. Make sure the ball is small enough that your dog can’t fit it in his mouth.
  • Avoid using balls that have been treated with pesticides or other chemicals.
  • Supervise your dog when he’s playing with the ball.
  • Keep the ball out of reach when you’re not able to supervise.
  • If you have any concerns, please speak to your veterinarian.

FAQs

What happens if my dog ate tennis ball fuzz?

The majority of the time, the fuzz will just pass through their digestive system, and you will be able to find it in their stools. However, if you have a little dog, it is in your best interest to get in touch with your local veterinarian. Even though the fuzz cannot be digested, it is often chopped up into smaller pieces before being removed. In spite of this, you should never hesitate to get in touch with your veterinarian if you have any queries.

My dog ate a tennis ball and is throwing up. What now?

You need to get in touch with your dog’s veterinary professional if you notice that your dog is vomiting. If they have a blockage in their intestines, which might be indicated by this symptom, they need to get medical assistance as soon as possible.

Final Thoughts

Tennis balls can be a fun toy for your dog to play with, but it’s important to make sure they’re used safely. A dog runs the danger of possibly losing its life if it swallows a tennis ball or any other foreign item that its digestive system is unable to process. Because tennis balls do, in general, present some dangers, it is imperative that you take the necessary safety measures before playing with them with your dog. If you have any concerns, please speak to your veterinarian.

Have fun and stay safe!

Leave a Comment