My Dog Ate Contact Lens: What I Should Do?

Dogs are curious creatures. If they see something new, they want to investigate it. This can often lead to them putting things in their mouths that they shouldn’t. Contact lenses fall into this category. While contact lenses are not poisonous or toxic to dogs, they can pose a choking hazard.

So, if your dog has the same curious spirit as mine and has done something similar, keep reading to find out how to fix it.

Is Contact Lens Toxic To Dog?

There is no evidence that contact lenses are toxic to dogs because contact lenses are made of a type of plastic called polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA). It’s safe to presume that the dog will only partially digest the lens before popping it out.

My Dog Ate Contact Lens

However, they may cause an allergic reaction. If your dog has a reaction to a contact lens, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. Allergic reactions can range from mild to life-threatening, so it is important to be aware of the signs and symptoms. If you think your dog may be having an allergic reaction, contact your veterinarian or emergency animal hospital right away.

What Happens If My Dog Eats A Contact Lens?

Contact lenses should not be consumed by your dog. It will undoubtedly have an impact on your dog’s health, but the degree of the problem will be determined by how many contact lenses or solutions they have used.

Ingested contact lenses can cause your dog to:

  • Vomit: If your dog ingests a contact lens, it may start to vomit. This is because the lens can cause irritation in the stomach.
  • Have Diarrhea: Ingesting a contact lens can also cause diarrhea. This is because the lens can cause irritation in the intestines.
  • Have Allergic Reactions: Allergic reactions can happen immediately or may develop over time. If you notice any changes in your dog’s health, it is important to seek medical attention right away. Allergic reactions can range from mild to life-threatening, so it is important to be aware of the signs and symptoms. This can cause symptoms such as itchiness, redness, and swelling.
  • Have difficulty breathing: If your dog ingests a large number of contact lenses, it may have difficulty breathing. This is because the lenses can block the airway.

What Should You Do If Your Dog Ate a Contact Lens?

When dogs chew human or pet lenses, there are still complications. So, if your dog ate a contact lens, there are a few things to keep in mind.

My Dog Ate Contact Lens

Look Out for Symptoms

You should look out for certain symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting, and lack of appetite. If your dog is displaying any of these symptoms, it is important to seek medical attention immediately.

Induce Vomit

If you think your dog has ingested a contact lens, you may want to try and induce vomiting. This can be done by giving your dog a small amount of hydrogen peroxide. It is important to only give a small amount as too much can be harmful to your dog.

Fast for 6 hours

After your dog has ingested a contact lens, it is important to fast them for at least 6 hours. This will allow their stomach time to digest the lens and hopefully pass it through their system without any problems.

Give Plenty of Water

It is also important to make sure that your dog is well-hydrated during this time. This means giving them plenty of water to drink. You can also add some electrolytes to their water to help replace any that they may have lost through vomiting or diarrhea.

Monitor Their Stool

You should also monitor your dog’s stool during this time. This will help you to see if the contact lens has passed through their system or if they are still having problems digesting it.

Take Them to the Vet If Needed

If your dog is still displaying symptoms after 6 hours or you are concerned about their condition, it is best to take them to the vet. They will be able to provide further treatment and monitor your dog’s condition.

How to Prevent Your Dog From Eating Contact Lens Again?

The best way to prevent your dog from ingesting contact lenses is to keep them out of reach. If you wear contact lenses, be sure to store them in a safe place where your dog cannot get to them. You should also be careful when disposing of contact lenses. Be sure to dispose of them properly so that your dog cannot get to them.

It is also a good idea to keep an eye on your dog when they are around contact lenses. This will help you to spot any potential problems and take action quickly if necessary.

My Dog Ate Contact Lens

If you are concerned about your dog’s behavior around contact lenses, you may want to consider professional training. A professional trainer will be able to teach your dog not to play with or ingest contact lenses. This can be a great way to prevent any problems in the future.

“Leave it”, and “Drop It”, are two commands that can be very helpful in preventing your dog from playing with or ingesting contact lenses. “Leave it” will teach your dog to leave something alone that they are not supposed to have. “Drop it” will teach them to drop something that they should not have.

Both of these commands can be very helpful in preventing your dog from getting into contact lenses. However, it is important to remember that they will not work 100% of the time. There may still be times when your dog gets into contact lenses despite your best efforts. If this happens, it is important to seek medical attention immediately.

Final Thoughts

Dogs can easily ingest contact lenses if they are not kept out of reach. If your dog has ingested a contact lens, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. You should also fast your dog for at least 6 hours and give them plenty of water to drink. You should monitor their stool and take them to the vet if necessary. The best way to prevent your dog from ingesting contact lenses is to keep them out of reach and train them not to play with or ingest them.

If you have any concerns about your dog’s health, it is always best to consult with your veterinarian. They will be able to advise you on the best course of action for your dog.

 

Leave a Comment