It’s no secret that some dogs suffer from allergies. In fact, according to a study conducted by the American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology, up to 15% of all dogs in the United States are allergic to something in their environment.
While there are many different things that can trigger an allergic reaction in dogs, the most common offenders are things like pollen, dust mites, and mold. Dogs that have allergies often experience symptoms like sneezing, coughing, itchy skin, and diarrhea.
If your pup is one of the unlucky ones that suffer from allergies, don’t worry – there are plenty of hypoallergenic dog foods on the market that can help.
In this article, we’ll take a look at some of the best options available.
Our Top Picks In 2022
The 5 Best Reviewed Hypoallergenic Dog Foods
1. Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food for Small Breed Dogs
Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food Adult Small Paws is a food made specifically for small breed dogs. The food is designed to meet the needs of adult dogs, with a smaller kibble that is easier for small mouths to chew and digest. Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food Adult Small Paws also contains essential nutrients that help promote overall health and wellness in small breed dogs.
It is formulated to help a dog’s digestive health. It is the best for a sensitive stomach because of the prebiotic fiber found in it. Moreover, the animal feeding tests by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) procedures proved that it is a dog food with balanced nutrition.
2. Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach, High Protein Dry Dog Food
This food is designed specifically for dogs with sensitive stomachs or skin. It is made with high-quality ingredients and is free of artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives. Plus, it is high in protein to help your dog maintain a healthy weight.
If your dog is allergic or sensitive to meat, you shouldn’t deprive it of other proteins. The Purina Pro Plan diet for sensitive skin and stomachs comes in handy here.
3. Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet
Your dog deserves the very best, and that’s why you should feed them Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet Dry Dog Food. This food is made with high-quality ingredients that are carefully selected to provide your dog with the nutrients they need while also being easy on their stomach.
The limited ingredient formula is perfect for dogs with sensitivities or allergies, and the dry food format is easy to store and keep fresh. Plus, Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet Dry Dog Food is highly palatable and full of flavor, so your dog will love every bite.
4. Blue Buffalo Basics Skin & Stomach Care Dry Dog Food
Blue Buffalo Basics Skin & Stomach Care Dry Dog Food is perfect for dogs with allergies or stomach sensitivities. It is also a good option for adult dogs who are less active and have a tendency to gain weight.
They are suitable for dogs that have shown signs of intolerance to proteins. With every bite of Blue Buffalo, your dog will get vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates, and other nutrients. The vitamins include Vitamin E, Vitamin B3, and Vitamin B7. Minerals include Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, and Calcium Iodate, among others.
5. NUTRO Limited Ingredient Diet Adult Grain Free Dry Dog Food
NUTRO Limited Ingredient Diet Adult Grain-Free Dry Dog Food is specially formulated to provide your adult dog with complete, balanced nutrition while accommodating food sensitivities. This premium dry food for dogs features a limited number of key ingredients that have been carefully selected and work together to deliver uncompromising nutrition and unparalleled flavor.
Nutro Limited Ingredient Diet (LID) is made with 10 key ingredients or less, keeping ingredient lists as short as possible and very manageable for owners of dogs with allergies doing an elimination diet.
Hypoallergenic Dog Foods Buyer’s Guide
When it comes to your dog’s food, you want to make sure that you are giving them the best possible option for their diet. This means finding food that is not only nutritious but also one that will not cause any sort of allergic reaction. If your dog has allergies, then you will want to find a hypoallergenic dog food that will be gentle on their stomach and not trigger any sort of reaction.
There are a few things to look for when you are shopping for hypoallergenic dog food.
You can purchase dog food with and without the following ingredients:
- Novel proteins- these are sources of proteins that are not common. Therefore, they present a lower risk of allergies. Examples include lamb, rabbit, Venison, herring, and bison.
- No eggs– buy dog food with no eggs since eggs are a significant cause of allergies.
- No dairy– dairy products cause allergic reactions. Purchase dog food with no dairy.
- No fillers-fillers are like husk, soy, or corn. They are of no nutritional value to dogs, and they cause allergies. So it’s good to avoid dog food with fillers.
2. Type of dog food
Consider the type of dog food before purchasing. Here are examples of dog food for allergies:
- Grain-free dog food is for dogs sensitive to grains like corn, barley, wheat, and rye. They are also gluten-free. However, not all grain-free dog foods are gluten-free.
- Novel ingredient dog food– this is a diet around a protein that your dog has never tasted. They include proteins like venison, salmon, or duck. You can find novel ingredients in limited ingredient dog foods.
- Prescription dog food– they are expensive, and you must give them under instructions from a veterinarian. Most of the time, a vet will prescribe it to you when your dog has severe reactions.
If your pup suffers from allergies, finding a good hypoallergenic dog food is essential. We’ve rounded up the best of the best for you and your four-legged friend. Keep this list handy the next time you’re in the market for new food and say goodbye to itchy skin, runny noses, and watery eyes!
Last update on 2022-06-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API